Saturday, December 15, 2007

Amazing Grace

My mother used to call me Grace when I was little because I didn't have any.

I am still amazed at this whole running thing. I went this afternoon. Still taking it easy because of the recent leg strain, but I'm doing it. Well, I typically trot along at an earth shattering *just under* 13:00 mile. Well, I did 2.5 today, but the first mile I did in 11:49. WOO FREAKIN' HOO!!! So let's see...if I can train myself to maintain that pace for 3.1 miles, I can finish my next 5K in around 37 minutes. I don't think my next 5K will be until February. I think this is doable.

At any rate, as I was driving back from the fitness trail, I found myself in awe of myself. I just still have a hard time believing that I have actually become a runner within these past several months. If you would have asked me in April, "Do you think you'll be able to run a 5K in November?" I'd have laughed. I couldn't run, let alone want to. I ran into some girls on one of the message board threads on the Weight Watchers website. It was all over from there. They made it sound fun. It took me a while to get to the "fun" part, but now, even as I'm out there in 20 degree weather, with snot running out of my nose because it's so cold, the sweat in my hair freezing to my head, I'm smiling knowing that I can do this, and I am doing it. Nothing is going to keep me from being a runner.

Damn, I should be a motivational speaker. Oh, wait. Talk to me about motiviation when the alarm clock goes off at 5:00 and I go out to run when is 20 degrees with a foot of snow on the ground. Maybe then I'll remember why I should NOT be a motivational speaker.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Go Lisa!

I would be an excellent motivational speaker myself... as long as you listen to my words and not my actions!

DoriAnn said...

It's like you're reading my mind, Lisa. If you asked me to run longer than 30 seconds last year, I would have passed out. I have no doubt you'll rock your next race.